Sunday, 4 November 2012

Post 5: Researching Short Film Content (3)

This post will show some additional research I've carried out, I have looked at films that can relate to the short film my group and I are going to be creating. After looking and watching the films I can then analyse them in how the research I've done is going to inform our film and help us in creating a great one.

The Lovely Bones
The first film I looked at was The lovely Bones that was released in 2009 and directed by Peter Jackson.
This is a film about a young girl, called Susie, who gets taken into an 'underground den' by her neighbour, George Harvey, she ends up feeling uncomfortable and wanting to leave which leads to her murder. She finds herself stuck between heaven and earth looking over her loved ones as they try to figure out where Susie disappeared to and how she died.
The main reason for watching this film was because of the neighbour of Susie, George Harvey. He tries to seduce her in his 'underground den', which we later as the audience find out isn't the first time he's tried to seduce a young girl. This will help my group and I with our short film as it gives another insight as to how the sexual groomer would target and get their victim. Not only this but it also helps us in understanding possibly how a sexual groomer would live there day to day life before and even after they targeted a victim.



Trust
The second film I looked at and watched was Trust, this film was directed by David Schwimmer and released in 2010.




This is a film about a teenage girl who gets targeted by an online sexual groomer, Annie then develops an on-line relationship with Charlie who, to start with, poses as a 16 year old boy. As their relationship develops and their increasing communication occurs through instant messaging and phone messages, Charlie changes his age from 20 to 25. To start with Annie is taken back but soon ignores the age difference and continues to speak to him, eventually agreeing to meet him in a mall. Here Annie finds out that Charlie isn't who he has made out to be, he is in fact an older man around the age of late thirties- early fourties. Again Annie dismisses the age difference and ends up going back to a motel with him, at the motel Charlie makes her model lingerie and ends up raping her. 
From watching Trust, it has given me an insight that once the sexual groomer has gained the trust from the victim they can actually get them to do pretty much anything, even grow feelings towards the sexual groomer, which is what happened to Annie. This can reflect in our film as Sophie may feel a special connection towards Alan and develop some kind of feelings towards him.

No comments:

Post a Comment