Sunday, 4 November 2012

Post 2: How To Write A Good Short Film Script

Our short film idea for our A2 coursework is a development from the one we made in our AS opening sequence. The main plot to our short film is based on sexual grooming and telling the story from the sexual groomer’s point of view. It explores how the sexual groomer interacts with and gains the trust of the victim. This will be portrayed through a father, the sexual groomer, and his 14 year old daughter and her best friend, the victim.

The following information is a summary of what I’ve learnt from reading part of the book  called Making Short Films: The Complete Guide From Script To Screen by Clifford Thrurlow. By doing this my group and I can work on producing a better short film, aiming to consider the key points mentioned below.

The article suggests that the following 8 points will help in making a short film:

1.    Introduce main character(s), set the scene.

2.    Give the character a problem, obstacle, obsession or addiction.

3.    Let the character work out a plan to overcome the problem.

4.    Before setting out to solve the problem, there may be a moment of doubt that will require the hero to seek advice from a mentor, teacher or friend.

5.    The hero sets out to solve the problem, obstacle, obsession or addiction.

6.    Overcoming the problem or challenge will be met by extreme opposition from the rival.

7.    The hero will appear to fail in their quest, glimpse defeat.

8.    The hero wins the final battle; the journey has made them a different person.


It also suggests that by adding the following 10 points it’ll help tackling to write a script:

1.    Don’t trust in inspiration, the first idea you get is often borrowed from every movie you’ve seen and book you’ve read.

2.    If you do work on that inspired project: rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.

3.    See your writing from the other side of the screen, from the audience point of view.

4.    Do not adjust your writing to the market by attempting to stay abreast, or even ahead of challenging trends.

5.    Be true to your own vision.

6.    Four steps to writing a short film scenario: find the ending; then the beginning; then the first turning point; then the second turning point.

7.    Enter your story a short time before the crisis that ignites the drama.

8.    Scenes are like parties: arrive late and leave early

9.    Persevere.

10. Listen to criticism. But don’t always take it.

By reading this I feel that I now have a better understanding when it comes to aspects that need to be considered when making a short film. For example, before I read this I wouldn’t have really thought that the first idea that pops into my head when discussing what to base the film on would possibly be from a book I’d previously read or a film I’d seen.
I can now consider these points with my group when we begin our short film pre-production.

No comments:

Post a Comment